Disclaimer: Sensitivity to cultural and religious practice and observance is a strong value of OTI. Any religious sites or events listed on the curriculum are meant for educational purposes only. All participants (students, faculty, staff) are provided opportunities to observe their own religious practices during the trip, including but not limited to prayer services; consumption or avoidance of specific foods; observance of holidays.
The Trip Experience
Monday: Ankara, Istanbul
- TALK with Kemal Cicek, Director of Armenian Studies in the Turkish Historical Society. Meeting took place at the Journalists and Writers Foundation.
- TALK with Ambassador Reha Keskintepe, director of US and Europe desk at Foreign Ministry, with 2 analysts on the Caucasus
- VISIT Tomb of Ataturk and museum with lunch following
- TALK with Ömer Engin Lütem (AV?M)
- TALK with Burcu Gültekin-Punsmann (TEPAV Economic Policy Research Foundation)
- Leave for airport to Istanbul
- Flight from Ankara to Istanbul (dinner at airport)
- Arrival in Istanbul
- Arrival at hotel and check-in, Old City, Istanbul
- TALK with Sabine Freizer (International Crisis Group) at TESEV office
- TALK with Aybars Gorgulu (who is writing his PhD on the South Caucasus) and Sabiha Senyücel Gündo?ar (TESEV)
- TALK with Noyan Soyak, Turkish Armenian Business Development Council (meeting in TESEV office)
- VISIT to Armenian Church.
- TALK with Cengiz Akta, academic and journalist who is a leading figure in the apology campaign–ozurdiliyoruz.com = ozurdiliyoruz means apology.
- Check out of hotel
- VISIT to Blue Mosque and Hagia Sophia
- TALK with Professor Mehmet Altan (economics professor) at Istanbul University
- TALK Barcin Yinanc, previously editor in chief of Hurriyet Daily News (previously Turkish Daily News), currently Special Projects Editor of Hurriyet
- TALK with Armenian freelance journalist
- TALK with David Hovhannisyan Yerevan State University, Centre for Civilization Studies
- TALK with Ruben Safrastyan, the Institute of Oriental Studies, National Academy of Sciences of Armenia
- TALK with Vardan Marashlyan, Deputy Minister of Diaspora
- Dinner and Reflection
- TALK with Ombudsman Karen Andrasyan (Office of the Human Rights Defender)
- TALK with Salpi Ghazaryan (Director of Civilitas Foundation)
- VISIT Genocide Memorial and museum. TALK with director.
- TALK with Alen Amirkhanyan, American University of Armenia
- TALK with Susanna Harutyunyan, Eurasia Partnership Foundation.
- VISIT Matenadaran (library of ancient manuscripts), meet with Levon Chookaszian
- TALK with Aram Manukyan, President of the Armenian National Movement and Arshak Banouchyan from Armenian National Congress
- TALK with Vahan Hovannesian, Armenian Revolutionary Federation (ARF)
- TALK with Gevorg Ter-Gabrielyan, Eurasia Partnership Foundation
- VISIT Echmiadzin Cathedral and Palm Sunday service
- ARRIVE in Vanadzor (talk with local population and have traditional Armenian lunch with family)
- ARRIVE back in Yerevan
- flight leaves for Istanbul
- TOUR of the Old City
- TALK at Hrant Dink Foundation with Delar Dink, daughter of Hrant Dink
- TALK with editor-in-chief of Agos, Rober Koptas (husband of Delar Dink)
- Leave from Istanbul to LAX